Required renewal of the eduroam configuration
|On 1 July 2019, a far-reaching technical modification will be going live within the German National Research and Education Network. This association operates large parts of the eduroam infrastructure for almost all German universities including Universität Hamburg. Unfortunately, the modification means that the software for logging into the eduroam network must be renewed on end devices.
The new software and installation instructions are available in the navigation bar on the right as well as in the menu at the top right (depending on the size of your browser window). In some cases, you may need to delete the old software/configuration before you install the replacement.
Install the new software so that you can continue to use the eduroam network as usual after 1 July 2019. After this time, it will not be possible to log into the eduroam network with the old software. Plan in sufficient time to deal with any unexpected problems during installation on your devices so that you can contact the Regional Computing Center hotline or service desk in good time.
- Members (staff and students) of Universität Hamburg
- Members of an institution belonging to the eduroam network
- Guests at Universität Hamburg with a guest ID for the “GUEST” SSID
- Guests at Universität Hamburg with a “course ID”
- You must have a valid ID provided by Universität Hamburg or an institution belonging to the eduroam roaming network.
- The network connection via Wi-Fi is configured for automatic assignment of an IP address via DHCP; this is the default configuration for many operating systems.
- A connection can be established to all Universität Hamburg SSIDs in accordance with the 802.11a (5 GHz) and 802.11g (2.4 GHz) standards. At some locations, the 802.11n standard (2.4 + 5 GHz) can also be used.
- The Regional Computing Center tests the tools, scripts, and software offered on its web pages with the operating system versions supported by the relevant manufacturer. It is assumed that all current security patches have been installed.
If problems arise when using the access solutions provided by the Regional Computing Center, check whether the manufacturer still supports the operating system you are using and you have installed all relevant security updates.
The quality of a Wi-Fi connection depends on both the hardware used and to a very large extent also on the local conditions. The building structure, number of Wi-Fi users online at any one time, disturbances caused by other radio sources as well as other factors can impact the connection quality. Take note of the general information on Wi-Fi at Universität Hamburg provided below.
Establishing a connection
Universität Hamburg’s access points transmit different SSIDs. Which one you require depends on your status and the desired login procedure. Universität Hamburg’s SSIDs, the respective intended users, and the login procedure are detailed below.
|eduroam||- Staff and students of Universität Hamburg
- Members of a eduroam network partner
- Guests at Universität Hamburg with a “course ID”
|UHH||- Staff and students of Universität Hamburg||VPN client|
|GUEST||- Guests at Universität Hamburg with an ID for the “GUEST” SSID||Web authentication|
802.1X authentication for members of Universität Hamburg
- Microsoft Windows 10—Follow the instructions.
- Microsoft Windows 8.1—Follow the instructions.
- Microsoft Windows 7—Follow the instructions.
- Apple Mac OS X—Download the configuration script.
- Apple iOS—Download the configuration script.
- Android operating system—Follow the instructions for manual configuration.
- All operating systems for which the Regional Computing Center does not offer preconfigured software or scripts—configure manually using the following parameters:
(root certificate of the delivered certificate chain for the authentication server)
|T-TeleSec GlobalRoot Class 2|
|Username/password||Your username (b******) with the corresponding password|
|CN of the authentication server||roamrad.rrz.uni-hamburg.de|
The Regional Computer Center provides more detailed information about VPN access to Universität Hamburg’s data network here: VPN service at Universität Hamburg
The Regional Computing Center offers preconfigured software and scripts as well as instructions for download on its downloads and links page as well as via the Wi-Fi access page. To access these, connect your device to the “UHH” SSID and go to http://wpad.wlan.uni-hamburg.de.
When you access the internet via Universität Hamburg’s Wi-Fi network, you have the option of using the Regional Computing Center’s proxy server. Adjust the settings so that the proxy server is configured automatically. Depending on the operating system and internet browser you are using, different methods must be used to do this.
Use the following link to access instructions with example configurations for a number of operating systems and browser configurations:
You also have the option of entering Universität Hamburg’s proxy server manually. The Regional Computing Center’s proxy server can be accessed at the following address:
- Server: proxy.uni-hamburg.de
- Port: 3128
General information on Wi-Fi
The Wi-Fi at Universität Hamburg is mainly intended for private end devices belonging to members of the University (“bring your own device”). Its main purpose is to enable students to use the University’s high-speed network for their studies in their familiar study environment (laptop, tablet, etc.). Members of staff may also use the Wi-Fi. However, they should preferably use a cable connection for their workplace computer. Cable connections (“ethernet connections”) are not only faster but generally also significantly less prone to interference.
Members of staff are also able to request a cable connection for their private laptop. This is always expedient when a high transmission rate and high level of availability are important, i.e., when completing work involving very high network loads or a pronounced communications orientation.
However, the Wi-Fi at Universität Hamburg should never be used to connect devices during lectures or examinations. Due to the high susceptibility of Wi-Fi to interference, availability cannot be guaranteed at all locations and at all times. On the contrary, the transmission rate may well drop at any time or the connection may even fail.
Therefore, always use cable connections at Universität Hamburg during lectures and to connect staff workplace computers.
- Regional Computing Center (RRZ) hotline
- Tel: +49 40 42838-7790